Saturday, 27 August 2011

S.C suo motu Action: Chief Justice seeks early resolution of Karachi issue


Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Iftikhar M. Choudhary
Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry Friday expressed grave concerns over uncontrolled volatile situation in Karachi, saying the governmental apparatus seemed to have broken down in the city to contain violence. It should be mentioned here that the apex court took suo motu notice on the newspaper reports regarding the ongoing lawlessness in the city. A five-member bench headed by Chief Justice Chaudhry began the hearing of the suo motu case. The other judges of the bench include Justice Shakirullah Jan, Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk, Justice Tariq Parvez and Justice Ghulam Rabbani. Former Law Minister Babar Awan appeared before the court on the part of the federal government; while, the chief secretary and Sindh Inspector General Police (IGP) Wajid Ali Durrani represented the Sindh government before the court.

Sindh IG and chief secretary presented the report in the court. The chief justice expressed his dissatisfaction over the report. The chief secretary said due to its being a provincial subject, complete information could not be had. The federation’s counsel Babar Awan voiced reservations over the some of judiciary’s observations and remarks regarding administration’s failure. Chief Justice stressed the Attorney General had been asked to submit report consisting of incidents over past one month CJP told the attorney general about the sensitivity of the case directing him not to take it in a light manner. One strike in Karachi incurs a loss of Rs 25 billion, CJP added. The situation in Karachi is out of control for the last one month.

The CJP said it was demand of the 180 million people that was why the court took the action. He directed to include the take of all the agencies in the report. Sindh government’s attorney said court didn’t have the solution to the Karachi issue. The CJP said the court has the constitutional right to ensure the rights of the common people. The court asked how many people had been killed and why the culprits could not be nabbed. Advocate general said a man who killed 100 people was released by the court. Justice Rabbani said why did the government not nabbed when he was killing 100 people. The court convicts when there are proofs, the CJP added. The next hearing will be held in Karachi on August 29.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe to Eagles of Brasstacks [Cyber Force] via Email adress